August 18, 2014 by Slow Sand
Parenting our little girl has been such a treat this Summer. To help me remember some of the sweet memories from this Summer, I’m posting some of my favorite quotes and pictures. It’s been such a joy to see her grow immensely in her conceptual understanding of the world as well as an ability to communicate it. God gave us such a sweet and brilliant little girl. Can’t wait to meet her little brother in less than two weeks!
- July 2014 several times in Michigan she’d make an entrance and shout to those within earshot, “Here’s me!”
- 7/7/14 in Michigan at Grandy and Marmee’s house Lydia said to her, “ready to wear a pull-up, Violet?”. Violet, “how about YOU wear a pull-up, Mama”
- 7/10/14 Violet came out on Papa’s deck and said to both Lydia and I, “Mama, don’t fly away! It’s dangerous….Daddy, don’t fly away, it’s dangerous. Don’t fly away, like a balloon.”
- 7/11/14 we told her that we were going to eat dinner and then go for a ride on Papa’s boat. As we had already picked out her favorite boat at the docks below, she had come to calling her favorite boat her boat. So she said, “I don’t wanna go on papas boat, first go on my boat!” as she pointed to her favorite one below.
- 7/12/14 In the car while driving home from Michigan she deliriously was talking about her puzzle app on the iPad and told me “it’s just a game, daddy. It’s just a game.” She repeated this nonstop for like 5 mins.
- 7/12/14 In the car on the way home to Texas about 6 hours in she said, “I don’t wanna go on this trip, I wanna go on a airplane” amid tears. We flew up to Michigan and drove my dad’s car down.
- 7/17/14 While sitting on the potty going #2 she and I (Scott) were reading her “ABC Book” and when I was reaching to touch the picture of the green apple she said “No! Don’t touch it, Daddy. It’s dangerous.” “Why?” “Only girls touch the apple. You touch the strawberry.” “What happens if I touch the apple?” “It makes Violet sad.” “It does?” “Yeah, sometimes it makes Violet sad.” (as she was laughing on this last line).
- 7/26 after a day in San Antonio, Violet was tired and goofy in the car. Scott asked “who is gonna make us dinner and clean our house?” And she quickly replied “I can!” A few minutes later he said, “who us gonna clean up Betsy’s pee?” And Violet replied ” you can, dad!”
- 8/2/14 At Violet’s first wedding – Logan and Riane Graf. We’d been saying the whole time that a prince and princess were getting married. During the daddy daughter dance where we said the princess was dancing with her daddy, Violet said “I’m not a prince.” I said “No, you’re not a prince. Your a princess.” She said “Ya. I’m a princess…wanna dance with me?”
- 8/3/14 While she was sitting on the potty she was Wanting to sing to me and have me sing to her, “I like you, I like you, I like you, just the way you are”. From Daniel tigers neighborhood. Then I would say “thanks!” And she’d say “you’re welcome!”
- 8/7/14 While sitting on the potty I asked Violet if she was excited about Ezra coming. She said, “I’m excited. He’s a tiny baby, a tiny baby. I will rock him!”
- 8/8/14 We were cuddling on our bed this morning when she heard a dove hooting outside and looked up suddenly and said, “Huh! A good morning dove! I heard a good morning dove!”
- 8/15/14 Before bedtime I said to her, “Violet, it’s 9 o’clock, that means it’s time for bed.” She responded “Nope. It’s not 9 o’clock. It’s perfect!”